"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Dog to the Rescue

From the BBC: Debbie Parkhurst of Maryland was choking on an apple, and her dog jumped on her chest to dislodge it. They will be making the rounds of talk shows. I wonder what the dog will have to say. The same page on the BBC has links to stories about a lifesaving rabbit, cat, and beagle (who dialed for help from a mobile phone).

I love stories like this. My dog has so far saved my life in more subtle ways, earlier getting me to go outside on a beautiful spring day, rather than pretzel up at my desk and drink chai.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adopted a puppy (our second dog) about a month ago and I'm running home at lunch to let him out most days, which does get me out of the office a bit. Have no idea what he's going to look like or how big he'll be. Got him at 12 lbs and now he's 17 lbs a month later. Pound called him a "Shepherd mix" but when he yawns I see a big black spot on his tongue and I'm thinking he's part Chow. We'll see!

Zen of Writing said...

Mine is Sheperd/Border Collie mix, and has black spots in his mouth. How old is yours? And congrats on the no-doubt-fun new face.

Anonymous said...

He's four months old now. This saturday we start him in Puppy Training although so far he seems way smarter than our older dog which is part Austrailian shepherd part rottweiler (in coloring only). New puppy can sit, down and bring a ball back to me. He's for sure the alpha male (both dogs are boys). They fight, I mean play, all day long and puppy loves to dig in the mud. yipes.

Zen of Writing said...

Hm, mine was about 20 lbs at 5 months, and is now 56-58 lbs depending on how many treats he gets. You can see his photo in the very first post.