"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Book Stores of Park Slope


I just returned from a visit to my old neighborhood. I was happy to see that the Community Bookstore on 7th Avenue is still there. Inside, I learned that Natsuo Kirino has a new book out, Grotesque, good news for fans of Out. The Barnes & Noble farther down 7th apparently hasn't done them in, which is certainly more good news. The Community Bookstore was one of my favorite places back then, and it still has a well-used feel. The Barnes & Noble has a well-trodden feel -- there were no tables in its Starbucks cafe, so perhaps the majority of the traffic there is between the magazine stand and the cafe, located at opposite sides of the main floor. Literature is downstairs, and I don't know if that's meant as a comment.

No comments: