"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Dylan

"...it dawned on me that I might have to change my inner thought patterns...that I would have to start believing in possibilities that I wouldn't have allowed before, that I had been closing my creativity down to a very narrow, controllable scale...that things had become too familiar and I might have to disorientate myself."

I've just started The Essential Interviews. The quote is from Chronicles: Volume One.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dylan is one of those rare sixties artists who is more interesting and possibly more important today than in the days of my youth. He has never allowed any group to depend on him to use his eloquence to promote a cause.
I'm sure that you've seen the PBS American Masters program on Dylan "No Direction Home". I'm hoping they repeat it soon, very worthwhile viewing.