"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Diapering the Octopus

That is, trying to wrap up the waving loose ends of my novel without completely eviscerating the conflict, and without entertaining thoughts such as, "Is this an accurate reflection of what I want to say, my soul, my presence in the world, whatever?" and letting them derail the wrapping up process. First, does it work? Do I have something that makes sense, is interesting and does justice to my premise? Second, is this really what I wanted to say when I started this, and if not, is that a good thing?

I suppose this blog could be construed in two ways. Either I'm still buzzing with the energy of Nanowrimo month, or, I'm procrastinating about finishing the novel. I do sometimes procrastinate about finishing reading books I've really loved and don't want to end. I also wait before reading all of the author's other books, so as to save some for a rainy reading day. (Which is not likely to ever happen. I'd post my list of unread books that I already own, except that I could probably read one in the time that would take.)

No comments: