"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chekhov, online

This is a particularly nice find, as there are so many of his stories that I've not had a chance to read, or read so long ago that I *should* read them again. (I'm going to eventually have to post about all the books I should read. But it's should in the sense of, they're great books, rather than should in the sense of, well I bought them/they were given to me, and they're sitting there gathering dust. Some of those are great books, too.) A good translator, Constance Garnett. Hers were the recommended translations when I was in college, although I've read some of Magarshack's as well -- not the same works, though. Too many books, too little time. There are notes, as well, although, doesn't everyone know what a lorgnette is? At least everyone who reads Chekhov? Or is that when I first looked it up, when I first read Chekhov? It's probably a good thing that I can't answer that question. There has to be a little free space left in the mind, some elbow room.

The Lady with the Dog. (I love the title.)

Oh, it's been pointed out that Gutenberg.org also has his work. Along with many others. A worthwhile link.

No comments: