"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Are Bloggers Next?

Help for email addicts. Apparently, there are people who must check their email every four minutes, in between shots on the golf course, for example.

I admit that I check my email frequently, but only if I'm working at my desk anyway. I hate those electronic voices that say, "You've got mail," or even the ping-ping of the MS Outlook mail delivery. If it's that urgent, there is still the phone. Which used to be the seat of obsession. Now we can divide our obsessions among various technologies. No more sitting home by the phone -- you can carry it with you, and your Blackberry, your laptop, your Palm Pilot. There's email, text messaging, camera phones. I'm glad, though, that I live in a town with spotty cell service. There's something to be said for the ring of old-fashioned silence. And not having to listen to half of a cell phone call, which invariably goes something like, "Are you there? Hello? I think my battery is dying."

No comments: