"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Paralyzing Inhibitions and Middle-Aged Emerging Artists

One of the great things about getting older is that other people's opinions have less power over us than they once did. I work with a physical therapist who recently told me, "When I turned 40, I stopped worrying about offending other people. When I turned 50, I started enjoying offending other people." In many ways this is the best time to do something that others might view with skepticism, and to risk a little ridicule that might once have been unendurable.

Robin Black, at Oprah.com.

2 comments:

Lauralew said...

The title of this post describes me to a "T". I think that when one reaches 50, one realizes that suddenly time is short, and that novel or that painting or great pottery or whatever needs to be created, no matter what the consequences are. I know my creative writing time has upticked sharply in the last couple of years after a 30 year hiatus.

BTW, I like your blog. Found it from Steve Almond's site. Will "follow" you.

Zen of Writing said...

Thanks for visiting. Come back anytime!