"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Department of Dinosaurishness

Did crotchety old penmanship aficionados claim that the typewriter destroyed writing? So why do crotchety old typewriter users think that ebooks and the computer will?

For that matter, we should all be chiseling words into stone. Then, we'd be sure only to say what we mean. None of this papery, verbose stuff.

At the Guardian.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly. Maybe I'm missing the point there, because that strikes me as a ridiculously wiiiide arc of thought. Or, maybe my computer is making me irreversibly stupid.

Zen of Writing said...

Hi, Thanks for commenting. My point is only that I don't believe e-books will hurt writing. Word processing didn't.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Right. I agree with you, I was referring to the person who wrote the piece. I feel like he was reaching pretty far.

Really digging your blog!