"Immersion in the life of the world, a willingness to be inhabited by and to speak for others, including those beyond the realm of the human, these are the practices not just of the bodhisattva but of the writer." --Jane Hirshfield

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"There are ships sailing to many ports

But not one goes where life is not painful." Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet.

Interesting to see how many people like this book, on Goodreads.com-- I like it as well. It's closely observed and poetic, if depressive.

Goodreads is either an interesting place to see what people are reading, or, yet another way to waste time at work, or, yet another way to waste time not writing or reading. Depends on your point of view.

I am nothing.
I will always be nothing.
I cannot wish to be anything.
Apart from that, I hold inside myself all the dreams of the world.

Álvaro de Campos*: "The Tobacco Shop" (Tabacaria)

This is a pseudonym of Pessoa, who used quite a few of them.

No comments: